Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sowing The Word of God

When a person first comes to know Jesus as personal Saviour and Lord, they want so eagerly to share with all what God has done for them. We speak out loud about salvation and death and it's penalty or reward. We want God's Will for our life and we want it now. We sometimes cause ourselves to encounter great reward and also great discouragement. I remember when I first entered into the ministry, how my enthusiasm got me in trouble.
I wanted everyone to know Jesus and I was asking everyone about their salvation and the condition of their souls. I was untrained and unchecked by my own mind, as well as the leaders in my Church. One day, while I was working for James Robison, I was on my way to the Post Office when I was stopped by a Police Officer for running a traffic light (not once, but twice). I was busy talking to a hitchhiker I had picked up on the way and was not paying attention to my driving (imagine that). Well not to create additional problems, I quickly confessed my guilt and promised to cooperate completely if He would allow me to ask Him a question when he was finished. He said "Okay". What a mistake that was on His part. I had Him right where I wanted Him. I could hardly wait, when suddenly He was giving me back my drivers license and a ticket. Oh My God, it was now my turn.
Without any hesitance I opened my mouth, the officer drew His gun, I was spread across the hood of His car, and He was calling for backup. All I asked was "If you were to die today, do you know if you would go to Heaven?" He said that He was in fear for His life, I was in fear of going to jail. All I had done in my mind was care about someone I did not know. Well, I did not go to jail and I did not even get the ticket, the Police Chief showed up and let me go. Yes, a bad question for sure. But, the problem was not the question, it was my expectation. I was trying to reap a harvest without even sowing a seed.
LUKE 8: 5 “A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside; and it was trampled down, and the birds of the air devoured it. 6 Some fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. 8 But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold.” When He had said these things He cried, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
God's Word has the answer to my enthusiasm and my willingness to be humiliated at times. Most of the time I wanted to know what was going to happen to everyone I met. Were they going to Heaven like me? Did they confess Jesus as Lord? I was too busy trying to judge the outcome of God's Word and the answers the Bible provided that I wasn't sharing the Word of God with anyone. I was on a reaping whirlwind. No sowing just reaping. It took a lot of discouragement and heartache to finally discover the truth on God' Word about the seed. Jesus said "A sower went out to sow his seed". This is the last time in this parable that the sower is even mentioned. Nothing is said about where he went or what planning went into His day, or as to how much seed He would sow. Jesus never suggested that His sowing was careless or misplaced. He only said He went out to sow His seed. The sower never judged the soil, or the lack thereof, or never showed discretion about the outcome of His seed. Jesus is the only Judge of the seed in this parable. He explained what happened to the seed to his followers and even gave them a little extra insight. We can examine this passage of scripture and find the answers we may be looking for today.
LUKE 8: 9 Then His disciples asked Him, saying, “What does this parable mean?”
10 And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that
‘ Seeing they may not see,
And hearing they may not understand.
Remember Jesus said "He who has Ears. Let Him Hear".
We need to open our ears to hear God's Word being told from our own mouths. Jesus tells His followers that the seed is the Word of God. We need to busy sowing the Word of God, because this is His Will for our lives. Sow and do not try to predetermine the outcome. Do not look for better fields to sow in. Listen and repeat what God has said. God's Will for me today is to be a Sower.
Today I have found another answer from the Bible. Obedience, remember, brings God's Blessings.
May God Bless you.
Ask Pastor Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment